Leaving the fabric store with 24 yards of heavy material in my arms, I saw a signboard on the sidewalk. It advertised art classes and gallery space in the adjacent building. I’d been feeling stuck and frustrated with my painting lately. I wanted to meet other painters, I wanted some constructive criticism, and most of all I […]
This painting began with a simple acrylic undercoat, seen in the featured image above. It’s progressed slowly but steadily ever since. Yesterday details of the Monarda flower (bee balm/wild bergamot) were added. Now the bees have a pretty target for all their attention! A little pollen was added to the bees’ bodies and the color of the […]
The bees are almost finished, and today they got their wings. While all that is drying, the next session or two will be spent on details of the flower. Soon this one will be finished!
They call them “studies” -the preliminary drawings before executing a painting – and for good reason. My ignorance of the anatomy of a bumblebee became obvious as soon as I tried to think how to compensate for fuzzy focus in the reference photos. Of course I knew that as insects, they had 6 legs, a […]
Last post, I showed you the acrylic underpainting of three bees. Today I thought it might be interesting to see the next step. The bees and petals are carefully covered with masking tape, and extra tape at the edges outlined with an X-Acto knife. I’m not too worried at this stage about precision. I know there will be […]
After being under the weather the past couple of days, I woke today with lots of energy and a long to-do list. I needed to be a busy bee to get it all done. Near the top of the list was starting a new painting! I decided to use photos I took last month of a […]